Frequently Asked Questions about Fractal Domains
- Is there a WIndows version of Fractal Domains?
- How can I change the size of the image window?
- Are the images shown in your gallery available for [insert commerical use here]?
- Are the images shown in your gallery available for [insert non-profit use here] for no fee?
- Do I (the user) own the rights to images created with Fractal Domains?
- Is there a WIndows version of Fractal Domains?No, Fractal Domains runs only on Macintosh. There is no Windows version and no plan to produce a Windows version.
- How can I change the size of the image window?While running the program, pull down the “Fractal” menu. Choose the first item, “Parameters…”. At the top of the dialog box are two fields labeled “Image Size (in pixels)”. Enter the desired width and height. The image starts out at 200 x 200, so for instance if you want it to be twice as big, you would enter “400″ for both the width and height.
- Are the images shown in your gallery available for [insert commerical use here]?All images shown on the site are under copyright either by me or by the creator of the image. Outside of obvioius fair use exceptions, no image can be used without permission.
Although I am not in the business of licensing my fractal images for commerical use, I have done so in a few cases. Uses have included textbooks, magazines and promotional items. Let me know which images you are interested in and for what use, and I will send you my proposed fee structure. All licenses are non-exclusive (that means I retain the rights to the image for licensing to other parties) and are restricted to the specified use.
As for the images eligible for licensing, there are two areas in the gallery that are not available for this purpose. I can’t license images from the user’s gallery because, of course, I do not own the copyright to those images. The images in Ronda’s Gallery are not available because the original parameter files are lost, and therefore they cannot be produced in the resolution usually requrired for publication or other commercial uses.
Since most uses require greater resolution than is provided by the image files available in the gallery, availability for licesning generally requires that the original parameter file must be available. I can produce any resolution required in JPEG, TIFF or PNG if I have the original parameter file. I have the parameter file for most of the images but a few have been lost, so if you have an interest in any of the images, specify the images so that I can confirm availability.
- Are the images shown in your gallery available for [insert non-profit use here] for no fee?I have had requests for use of images for non-profit purposes, and I have granted most requests, but any such use requires specific permission from me, so send me a request before using. Also, in these cases I ususally require that a copyright notice with a credit to me by name be displayed with the image.
- Do I (the user) own the rights to images created with Fractal Domains?Yes. The creator of the image owns all rights. (This is probably obvious to most people, but I do get asked on occasion.)